Feeling listy and grateful today. These are a few (10) of my favorite things (also people, animals, places...You get the idea.) I've excluded the obvious: family, friends, shelter, food & water because, well.
1. Salt water. Preferably at the ocean on a sunny day. And surfing. I caught the stoke later in life, and it hasn't left.
2. Green foods. Kale. Salad. Spinach. Apples. Yum. Smoothies.
3. Furry animals. Dogs and cats, but I am a sucker for bunnies, elephants (I know, no fur, but still. Owls fit this bill too and wild turkeys.)
5. Yoga. I am forever a student and a teacher too. Moving with the breath is one of the best things to recenter, ground, and bring me back to connecting with myself, others, and the planet.
6. Writing. I just love it. Reading too, but writing fiction is like the nougat center, the cherry on top, the Pièce de résistance. I delight in it, pour my creativity onto the page, and lose track of time. For all the rejected queries, lost contests,
7. Travel. Get me on a train, to the coast, mountains, European cities, Canada. Oh how I love those maple leaves, I'm talking to you Montreal. I'll take history, hiking, enormous waves, urban, rural, the frontier, a well trodden path. Travel reminds me how big the world is and at the same time my itty-bitty place in it.
8. The little things: not having to change the toilet roll, dinner prepared when I get home, a bill that was sent in error (no payment required at this time- yay!), a sharpened pencil, or better, a mechanical pencil, not making any trash, playdough, hugs, kelp, when friends send photos—new or old, the smell of scotchtape and wrapping paper, a sneeze that doesn't get stuck, not having to wear shoes, and...
9. The sunset. No, the sunrise. I can't decide. Mostly the sunrise, I think. It's the experience of it. The way light and shadow play. The warmth and the...